Epidemiology is the basic science of public health. The practice of
epidemiology involves the study of factors determining and influencing the
frequency and distribution of disease, injury, and other health-related
events and their causes in human populations for the purposes of
establishing programs to prevent and control their development and spread.
The epidemiology program at the City of Hartford Department of Health &
Human Services supports the work of several other programs throughout the
department by providing, but not limited to, the following activities:
- Establish and maintain surveillance activities on
reportable diseases and conditions as per Connecticut Public
Health Codes and Reportable Diseases.
- Coordinate outbreak investigations.
- Assess the health status/trends of the community.
- Analyze and evaluate health conditions and issues.
- Provide statistical and demographic support to the
- Prepare clear and concise epidemiological reports and
- Monitor effectiveness of public health activities.
131 Coventry Street
Hartford, CT 06112
Phone: (860) 757-4726 or (860) 757-4729
Fax: (860) 722-6719